About 4 years ago, Tim and I were going through a rough spot. Some may call it the '7-year itch', I called it 'having my 3rd baby in 3 years craziness'. At any rate, nothing was wrong per se, it was just hard. To top it off, the baby was due in October. If you know my husband at all, you know that October is prime hunting season. Rough spot.
During this period, we took the time to reflect. Reflect on who we were, what we wanted and what God wanted. Most of all, to remind us that when God created marriage, it was created before the fall. Marriage is a reflection of Eden - how life was meant to be. Perfect, harmony, grace-filled life. With each other. No malice, no manipulation, no hurt feelings, no jealousy. Life with the Creator and life together. Like I said - hard to do on this side of heaven.
But, we came up with the truth for our marriage. We wrote them down, we posted them on the fridge. We live our life based on the knowledge of these truths for us. For Father's day I had the truth printed in a larger format to hang in our bedroom. My friend, Jodie helped me with the formatting and printing.
This week we talked at the marriage class held at our church. We talked about the truth and how it has transformed our life together. If Tim wants to go out with the guys on Friday night after a particularly long week and I ask him not to, it's not because I don't want him to have fun. He is free to pursue hobbies and fun activities. He knows this, and this sign helps him remember it.
If Ahren gets mad at me because I ask him to put his laundry away, it doesn't mean I'm a bad mom or that he hates me. He thinks I'm 'the bomb'!
If Tim or I forget to pay a bill, it's not because we're bad with money. It's probably because we have 4 kids and life is sometimes still hard and chaotic! So, we pay the bill and the late fee and move on.
Life is better with the Truth. Thank you Jesus, for being the Truth!

yay! love this SO much- i heard the class was wonderful, and i'm so glad you shared this!
ReplyDeleteI love this! So happy we're in it with you guys.
ReplyDeleteLove it, Adrian. Thank you for posting this. So often, I have to remind myself and my wife that we are not the enemy. Why do I treat my wife like she's the enemy? I need to see that we are on the same team, fighting against outside forces that can make us turn on each other.
ReplyDelete