First off: Ahren's diet. We got the results of the latest blood work and he is as allergic to wheat and soy and LATEX as he is peanuts. These are delayed allergies, but nonetheless they are significant to him and our family. So, we are on the rotation diet. You can read about that plan HERE. The dr. confirmed today that we're on the right track and if we stick to it, we should see some results in about 3 months. In the meantime, he's had 5 migraines in 20 days. That's 1 every 4 days, folks. NOT ok. Based on that info, the dr. foresees us having to eliminate something completely. We're journaling what he's eating every day and *hopefully* will be able to track what the significant triggers are.
Latex allergies have their own battles to deal with. First off, the list of foods to avoid:
- Banana
- Avocado
- Potato
- Kiwi
- Papaya
- Fig
- Pineapple
- Peach
- Plum
- Cherry
- Strawberry
- Melon
- Nectarine
- Grape
- Tomato
- Celery
- Rye
- Wheat
- Hazelnut
- Chestnut
Um, that's a LOT of food! But, we're going to continue to rotate them every four days. Here's something else to think about. All the rubberized products in our house:
- Rubber sink stoppers and sink mats
- Rubber or rubber-grip utensils
- Rubber electrical cords or water hoses
- Bath mats and floor rugs that have rubber backing
- Toothbrushes with rubber grips or handles
- Rubber tub toys
- Diapers that contain rubber
- Adult undergarments that contain rubber
- Waterproof bed pads containing rubber
- Undergarments, socks and other clothing with elastic bands that contain rubber
- Adhesives such as glue, paste, art supplies, glue pens
- Older Barbie dolls and other dolls that are made of rubber
- Rubber bands, mouse and keyboard cords, desktop and chair pads, rubber stamps
- Mouse and wrist pads containing rubber
- Keyboards and calculators with rubber keys or switches
- Pens with comfort grip or any rubber coating
- Remote controllers for TVs or VCRs with rubber grips or keys
- Camera, telescope or binocular eye pieces
- Bathing caps and elastic in bathing suits
While I don't think I'll be eliminating every rubberized thing in my house, this is certainly something to think about if the diet doesn't give us results. Does anyone know if Crocs are made of rubber/latex? And what do we do about wrestling mats...?
Next, lightning. On Tuesday morning the whole house woke with a lightning strike that sounded like it hit our chicken coop! The hens are ok and so are we, but it fried the modem to our computer and U-verse. This had the making for a VERY long Tuesday. But, we survived with McD's Wifi and good 'ol DVDs. This shows me how addicted our family actually is to electronics. And I thought not having video games was keeping us from the addiction...I was wrong. Our services are back up and running again...whew!
Knives. When is the right time to let your child learn to use a knife? Wed. morning seemed right to me. I needed some celery chopped and Ahren was begging to help me. Ok, here's a knife and a cutting board. Slice like this. Sweet - it's working! Then something happens and the knife slips from his hand and lands point down in my foot. OUCH! I have a small puncture wound and a small slice with lots of bruising, but all is well. I should probably have gotten a tetanus booster, but maybe next time. Six years old is not the right time for Ahren to learn to use a knife. I think he was even a little offended when I finished the chopping job!
Kittens. This is the saddest thing that happened this week. Yesterday after swimming at Little Gma's pool we came home tired and hungry. I pulled into the garage and saw the kittens scatter like every other time I drive in. However, one of them didn't move and I didn't know it until I opened my door to get out and it was laying in a couple of pieces on the floor. I screamed very loudly and jumped back into the van. The kitten was suffering and I couldn't do anything about it. I had all four kids in the van and Tim wasn't home. So, I called Tim who was the hero of my day. He and Mark came over from their job to help me...and the kitten. The kitten had died before they got here for which I was thankful it wasn't in any more pain. Ugh. I hate that! Ahren cried because it was his third favorite kitten! I guess at least it wasn't his first favorite!
So, tomorrow is Friday. I'm hoping for a relaxing day while babysitting my sweet niece, Alyse and going to the zoo with all the kiddos. Nothing eventful for a while, please and thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment