Thursday, September 1, 2011

September equals...

Fall is my favorite time of the year.  Summer is over, school routine is in place, cooler weather, crisp mornings and fall decorations!  In my mind, September equals fall.  Being September first and all, I was geared up for a high of 78 degrees and putting on jeans this morning.  Not so.  High of 103 and I'm wearing shorts and a tank top.  Ugh - someone please make this heat end!

September is also my husband's favorite time of year.  Bow season starts in just 14 short days everyone.  He's been practicing shooting from the barn window and getting all his gear washed and lined up.  Pretty soon my laundry room will be full of camo and the scent (or non-scent?) of baking soda used to launder such precious items.  His fever has been contagious, but thankfully only one other family member has caught it so far.  Ahren.  He thinks about deer hunting constantly!  Wanting to know when he can go, what time will he have to get up, what should HE wear?  This fever has been coming and going for 11 years now and I am only partially beginning to understand it.  But now that my son has the fever too, I may become husbandless AND son-less for 3 months of the year.

And Lord willing, if they're successful, my beautiful new kitchen will be turned into a butcher shop to clean and process the meat.  I can't wait for that part.

I am thankful for the meat and thankful that my children love it.  Our freezer is near empty after a good year hunting last year (4 deer).  It's good for you and cheaper (money-wise) and easy to fix.  I just wish it didn't take so much time to stock the freezer!

Happy Fall!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you guys do your own processing? That's one thing I'm glad Brad doesn't do, although it certainly adds to the expense to have it done. And I hear you about the freezer! Brad didn't get anything last year, although he had two the year before so we still had plenty of leftovers. But I'm more than ready to have the freezer stocked! Especially since I don't eat beef, and I love the little 1 pound deer-burger rolls we get. So convenient! :) Hope the season is both fruitful and not too lonely for you!!

    ReplyDelete