Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For the Birds

This morning Maria and I were watching the chickens from the back door window (one of her favorite things to do) and I noticed all these blackbirds were stealing the chicken's food!  They had gotten into the pen and were eating to their heart's content.  I don't have a problem feeding the birds, but I don't really want them eating my chicken's food!  Tim loves his chickens: here's proof!

They love to be petted, but this one got a little freaked out when it was time to go back in the pen.

I got the idea to have craft time and make bird feeders for the little thieves.  I didn't have any ice cream cones or pine cones, so we just used bread.  The kids liked eating the PB more than doing the project.

We made the bread in a heart shape for V-day...very cute, huh?

The finished product:

I tried making a hole in the bread to run a ribbon through, but the bread was too fresh, so it pulled right out from the weight of the PB and birdseed.  I think I'll let them set out for a while until they get a little stale and then try to hang them.  Hopefully the loose seed I threw out the back door will tide the thieves over until these are ready and they leave our chickens alone!

1 comment:

  1. Luke is a bird lover. He made those hearts for his valentines last year. It was really cute!,

    ReplyDelete