Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese New Year

I have to admit that I'm rather ignorant of other cultures.  I had no idea it was the Chinese New Year until Lydia came home from school with a little card wishing us a Happy New Year and Good Fortune...along with a coupon for Chinese food from Panda Express!  It says "Chinese New Year is the most important of the traditional Chinese celebrations.  The holiday recognizes family, good fortune, respect and prosperity for the New Year".

On the back is all the different years: Rat, Ox, Tiger, etc. etc.  2011 is the Year of the Rabbit.  I have no idea what that means.  But under each animal are the years and characteristics of people born in that year.  I take no stock in this whatsoever, but it's fun to look at.  Here's our family:

Tim-1974-Tiger: sensitive, caring, respected, brave
Me-1978-Horse: well-liked, happy, thrifty, funny
Ahren-2005-Rooster: hardworking, courageous, sharp
Lydia-2006-Dog: honest, loyal, pays attention, reliable
Annie-2007-Boar: brave, sweet, strong, problem solver
Maria-2009-Ox: patient, leader, stubborn, inspires

I think it's interesting there are no negative qualities.  But, who wants to start off the new year with negativity!?

No comments:

Post a Comment