In my free time (which isn't much) I'm reading the book "The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God enough to break the rules" by Carolyn Custis James. My MIL gave it to me for Christmas as she has loved reading it this past year. It's opening my eyes to new truths that the book of Ruth holds in the Bible, like never before. I always glossed over Naomi (Ruth's MIL) and what her struggles meant as a woman in Bible times. She was a widow and had no sons by the time she left Moab to return to Bethlehem. This is never a place I want to find myself in life.
The first sentence of the second chapter of this book is "Nine of out ten wives will spend some portion of their lives in widowhood." 9 out of 10??? That's 90%! Seriously? Not sure about you, but that scares the tar out of me! I'm only in chapter 3 of the book, but the author has already proven how much Jesus showed compassion to widows, how God loves them despite their loss. Thankfully, today widows aren't as shunned as they were then (at least I don't think they are). Women don't have to wear black and 'mourn' for a prescribed amount of time.
Ruth and Naomi's story is one of God filling them and providing for them as women. Is God is good for women? Ruth and Naomi's story is proof of that question so many women silently ask.
So much more is rolling around in my mind, but time prevents me from capturing those thoughts right now. I highly recommend this book and will try to post more truths as I learn them along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment