Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. You get to eat like it's going out of style and there is no pressure for gifts and the stress that goes along with getting everyone what they want.
Last year I came up with the idea to do a Turkey day countdown with the kids. We made a turkey out of construction paper with removable feathers. Each day we take a feather off so there is a visual for the kids of how many days are left. We start on November 1st.
Another fun thing that I added is a good way to pace the consumption of all the Halloween candy they just received. We divided all the candy three ways (sorry Maria) and put it into small snack baggies. We then numbered each baggie. Each day that we remove a feather from the turkey, they kids get to eat the candy in the corresponding bag. No more, no less. The kids remembered this from last year and asked if we were going to do it again. Love that we're building memories and traditions!

I'm totally going to steal your Thanksgiving countdown idea for next year! I love it... and so creative! Jacob is not a big candy eater yet, so I think Christopher & I will just continue eating his until he becomes more aware :P
ReplyDelete