I have really been struggling with the morning routine lately. The kids are more tired for some reason and are dragging their feet to try and get up and moving. Actually, it's only one kid - the rest of them are pretty cooperative. This morning though, was WAY better.
I tried an idea from my MIL to set a timer. Said child has until the timer goes off to do one 'chore'. First, go to the bathroom. This chore used to take 10+ minutes to complete. Today, while racing the timer it took only 2 minutes! Reset timer and next, get dressed. What used to take 15+ minutes to complete with much whining and crying and refusing took only 6 minutes! Third, make your bed. There were 2 minutes left on the timer from getting dressed and the bed was made almost before those 2 minutes were up. Make bed - 3 minutes! A morning routine that used to take 45 minutes took 11 minutes!
We all had a relatively laid back breakfast and this child even got to watch some TV before leaving for school! It was so peaceful around here this morning. I thanked this child for having a cheerful heart this morning and my praise was greeted with huge smiles and a big hug.
Now, I just pray the timer is still incentive tomorrow. But, I'll take one day at a time, and today was a good one!
No comments:
Post a Comment