Monday, September 13, 2010

Love Languages

Love this book!

This book has been so helpful for my marriage.  Both Tim and I read it when we were first married and it made so much sense to us.  Learning how to love the other person in a way that fills their love tank is so important.  Tim's love language is physical touch and mine is quality time.

I'm beginning to see how my children are expressing their love languages as they grow.  One thing that bugs me about my kids (especially my oldest) is that they are always asking if I got something for them whenever I shop or have been away from them while they're at school.  Ahren's first question most days after Kindergarten pickup is "did you get me anything?"  Most days, the answer is no.  They also ask their grandparents and great grandparents almost everytime they see them.  Most of the time, the grandparents answer is yes.  I've blamed them for creating this habit in my children.

However, Ahren had his first playdate last week with a boy from his class named Brad.  After breakfast the morning of the playdate Ahren spent probably 20 minutes in his room very quiet.  When I asked him what he was up to, he said he was getting a gift together for Brad.  He came down with a small decorated bucket (that was almost bent in half) but inside was a prized pencil, a picture of Ahren, two small valentine cards leftover from last year's party (probably with someone else's name on them), a football card and a pipe cleaner with a jingle bell on it.  Wow!  What a gift :)  But he was so proud of it and was so excited to give it to Brad when he came over that afternoon.  Brad looked a little skeptical at first, but his mom has told me since then that he's been carrying it around at home.  My son made a gift (a very thoughtful gift) for his friend who was coming to visit.  He was loving his friend the same way he likes to be loved - by giving gifts.

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it.  I want to read the one that's geared for kids so I can study my girls and try to figure out their language.  In the meantime, maybe I'll try to grab some little items for Ahren when I'm shopping - like gum or stickers.  Something to show him that he is loved :)

No comments:

Post a Comment