Tim and I went to Kindergarten parent orientation last night. Today Ahren meets his teacher, Mr. Rowe. He's doing half day Kindergarten in the morning. He's already done preschool for 2 years, so he's confident being away from home. He knows how to share, he doesn't bite or hit to get his way, he doesn't cry when I drop him off, he knows how to say please and thank you, he knows how to use the bathroom by himself, he plays well with others...in general, I think he's a great kid! But something hit me last night. No one has ever been mean to him before...except his sisters. What if someone in his class is a bully, physically or verbally? Have I taught him how to defend himself or what to do if someone hits him? I think if that happens he would just stand there and cry! How do you teach your kids about mean people? He knows there are 'bad guys' on movies, but he's never met one. And honestly, this morning he was nervous watching the Smurfs because of the marsh monster! I'm nervous for him - this mother hen wants to keep her little chick close! I never thought I'd be one of those mothers that cries on the first day of school...but I just might! Nevertheless, he's growing up and this is the first of many stages of 'letting go'. He's so excited - already has his backpack packed and ready to go. He will know two of the boys in his class; one from church and the other from preschool. Familiar faces will help. There are 14 kids in his class. I was surprised at that number, just assuming it would be more. I'm thankful it's not.
As I was laying awake last night praying about my oldest going to Kindergarten, the Lord pressed a question on my heart. "Do you trust Me?" Ahren knows Jesus and I know that He goes with him. I have to trust that God will take care of my little boy, because He loves him even more than I do. That is so hard to comprehend...Lord, I do trust you, please increase my faith!
Adriane... I know what are you going through and I have such similiar worries about the bully thing. Even though Sam is HUGE, he doesn't know how to fight back if picked on.... and I know that those things can happen. I think I will pick your brain on this the next time I see you!
ReplyDeleteSusan Herrmann