Monday, January 16, 2012

Teaching Life Skills

I was inspired by my seven year old niece, Morgan, last week when her mom told me she made cookies ALL by herself.  Realizing that Ahren is seven now and is reading like a champ I decided to give it a try with him.  It's not too often when we have a Saturday morning with nothing going on and I actually have time with him alone (while the girls are entertained with a girlie cartoon). 

I taught him how to read a recipe. How to follow the directions step by step (because the order matters), how to measure the ingredients exactly, how to turn the oven on and set the timer, and he DID it!
We used a gluten free baking mix

Gluten free chocolate chip cookies.  He was thrilled with himself and he can actually eat these cookies! Some were a little underdone (my fault, not his) but others turned out picture perfect.

Next, to teach him to make regular cookies for me!!

1 comment: