I will never forget the day this happened:
I was pregnant with Lydia. It was November of 2005. Our neighbor knocked on the door early afternoon. She is a sweet lady, with two daughters in high school at the time.
Her words were "is there a deer in your trash?"
With a horrified look on my face, I'm sure, my reply was "maybe, why do you ask?"
Her response, never to be forgotten: "because there is a deer head on the sidewalk"
"WHAT?"
(Tim had obviously had a successful hunt that weekend and did not bag the carcass well enough to sneak by the trash guy. Because he must have seen it and dropped it like a hot potato because there it lay, on my sidewalk...a.deer.head.)
She says "we might want to move that before the kids walk home from school and see it"
"Ugh. Okay. I'll get a trash bag."
"I'll get rake" she says.
We go out there together and manage to maneuver the head into the bag before the kids walked home and before I vomited. I was much more bothered by it than she was, I think.
This story only gets repeated to Tim's hunting buddies and I try so very hard to forget. Fast forward to Christmas this year. Our neighbor and her daughters brought some cookies over. Such a sweet gesture. They had a special cookie for Tim. When they handed it to him, we both looked at it a little funny. It appeared to be a reindeer...without a head. It took a minute for this to sink in. And then Linda (the neighbor) pulled the reindeer cookie head out of her pocket and emphatically states "here's the head! I found it!"
I am mortified, but can't help but laugh. They got us SO good. At least they were laughing too. Obviously they didn't forget the whole story. What a hunting tale!

No comments:
Post a Comment