Ahren's diet is going very well. Although we've made tweaks and cheats along the way, the one constant is that we still rotate wheat every four days. Wheat is in everything...especially all the things Ahren likes to eat. Cereal is the one biggie. He LOVES to eat cereal and I believe he could eat a whole box of Frosted Mini Wheats in one sitting if I let him.
Friday in Ahren's class someone had a birthday and brought cupcakes. I usually send a gluten free treat on those days if it isn't a wheat day on his diet. However, I thought the bday that was Sunday the 23rd would be celebrated on Monday, but it was celebrated on Friday. My mistake. But, Ahren DIDN'T eat a cupcake! He just ate leftover potato chips from his lunch. Are you kidding me?? A six year old boy has the willpower to refuse a cupcake that all of his friends are eating and eats potato chips instead?? Wow. Blew me away.
However, I was thinking that he knows what it costs him to cheat on his diet. He has not had a migraine episode since July 20 - 3 MONTHS! This is a huge success! He's grown up enough to know that a cupcake may ruin his weekend. I wish I had that kind of willpower.
This morning, Sunday, he came into my room at 6:30am; early for him. When I asked him what was up, he said he wanted to make sure that he got some of the wheat cereal before his sisters ate it all. Today is a wheat day and it was the first thought in his mind probably before his blue eyes even opened for the day.
Growing and learning here at the Muehleisen's. Learning that six year olds have more willpower than I do and growing in grace to accept that my kids teach me as many lessons as I teach them.
No comments:
Post a Comment