Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cleaning House

Cleaning house is not one of my favorite things to do - BUT, I love having a clean house, so I try to keep up with it.  Dusting and mopping are two of my least favorite jobs, toilets aren't too high on my list either.  Don't mind dishes or vacuuming or laundry.  Picking up endless toys and keeping all the pieces together isn't hard, but it's never-ending.  Four kids can leave behind a lot of stuff - especially the baby since she's at the stage where she doesn't understand how to put things back on the shelf :)

The other day I was at a friend's house who is well into her 80's.  She is a lovely lady and has been a friend of Tim's family since before he was born.  Tim bow hunts and picks blackberries on her property.  Just today he was out there picking berries, setting up his deer stand and checking his trail camera. She sent home 4 fresh peaches for me and the kids.  They were the sweetest peaches I've tasted in a long time!  Anyway, the last time I visited her I noticed how neat and tidy and clean her house was.  Everything had its place and there wasn't a speck of dust on a bookshelf or a dustball in the corner.  I mentioned to her how nice and clean her house was; and her response?  "Well, it doesn't get dirty." 

Doesn't get dirty...how many things can you say that about?  My car, my clothes, my shoes, my kids, my husband, my kitchen, my porch, my dishes...everything in my life gets dirty.  But it didn't seem that way with Kathleen.  I wonder when she remarked about her house not getting dirty if she was a little sad that it was that way.  Does she wish she still had a husband and little kids to chase and clean up after?  Does she miss the chaos that comes with never being able to find Barbie's missing shoe or the right hot wheels car?  How many hours does she spend wondering where the years went?

I know Kathleen has a full life with 5 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids as well as 2 daughters and sons-in-law.  She works at her church and has many friends.  She is a sweet, kind and gracious lady.  I'm sure when she's gone, everyone will remember her for her many good qualities, NOT for how clean her house was/is.  Will I ever learn this lesson?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you, I have a hard time with this lesson too...

    ReplyDelete