Some lessons have to be learned the hard way. Through experience, heartache, embarrassment. The latter was my teacher today.
I was at the local nail salon (which happens once or twice a year) with Lydia. She's home sick from school today with a fever, but no other symptoms. We were the only ones in the salon and Lydia was just relaxing waiting for me to finish. I noticed a plate of apples sitting next to the sink where they have you wash your hands. I also noticed two Buddha statues. See the link between apples and Buddha? Me neither.
Once I settled into the pedicure chair I opened my mouth to ask if Lydia could have an apple. Lydia looked at me and shook her head no. I was surprised but in retrospect thankful that she didn't want one. Because the two ladies doing my nails looked at me, then at each other, then back to me and shook their head. One of them made a sign like she was praying. I immediately recognized that the apples have some sort of connection to Buddha and they were NOT for snacking. I still don't know what the connection is because I was too embarrassed to ask and they didn't speak very good english.
So, if you ever see a statue of Buddha (or multiple statues) don't ask for any fruit that may be sitting nearby. Lesson learned. I'm really glad we were the only ones in the salon and that Lydia didn't really want an apple!
One day you will look back and chuckle... :). We all make mistakes!! When i worked at starbuks i once asked a jewish guy if he was out Christmas shopping.... I didn't see the kippah on his head until he pointed to it!! I think as long as we aren't trying to be unkind, folks understand. Hope your nails look pretty! Mine are horrible... :) :)
ReplyDelete