If anyone knows me at all, they know that I love Mt. Dew. We've been in a relationship since my teens that got more serious in college. By the time I had four kids under 5, we were inseparable. Every morning Mt. Dew would greet me as soon as my feet hit the floor. We met together 3-4 times/day. It was a great relationship. Except for the fact that Mt. Dew wasn't healthy. It tasted good and got me through the day, but so very unhealthy. The dependency, the driving out of the way to a good gas station to get one more, the sugar, the caffeine, the 15 ingredients I can't pronounce. Not good.
So, I decided it was time to end the relationship. Cold turkey. I woke up one morning and looked at the two-liter sitting on the counter and said 'not today'. It's been 12 days. Yesterday I dumped out the remaining soda in the two-liter. I wasn't even sad. It's been up and down without my Mt. Dew, but I'm making it. I still drink a coke a day, but at least I can pronounce all the ingredients in a coke.
I don't see us getting back together. I may have a one here or there, but there will be no more dependency on a drink. My dependency needs to be on Jesus to get me through the day, not on a soda. I'm trying to live an obedient life in all areas and my soda habit was an area that needed attention. Obedience begets fellowship - try it!
Way to go! I am giving coke up for lent...because it takes saying something as true and absurd as, "Jesus DIED for you, you can give up soda for Him," to not go out of my way to the gas station that has good fountain soda. Pathetic, I know.
ReplyDeleteyea for you!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!! Out of your comfort zone you meet Him
ReplyDelete