Monday, December 6, 2010

Scripture

"GIVE THANKS to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. SING TO HIM, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. GLORY in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. LOOK to the Lord and his strength; SEEK his face always.  REMEMBER the wonders he has done, his miracles and the judgments he pronounced." Ps. 105:1-5

I don't always take the time to pick up my Bible and read everyday, but I love it when I take the time and God reveals something to me.  This passage really spoke to me today.  During this season of Christmas we remember all that God has done for us by giving us Jesus.  I sometimes feel like I need to or should be able to do something to give back to God for his amazing sacrifice.  Here are some things we can do: give thanks, sing, glory, look, seek and remember.  These are simple things to do that will draw us closer to the heart of God. 

These are also things I can teach my kids to do.

Give thanks. Right now we are working on having grateful hearts - not being jealous when someone else gets something we don't and being grateful that we have food on our plates, even if we don't like it!

Singing is an easy one with my kids - they love to do it!  Today in the car, Annie started singing: "how gweat, is our God, how gweat is our God".  So heartwarming :)

Glory in his holy name.  Glory is a hard one to grasp - I've always thought about it as power is what God does and Glory is who God is.  Glory - who God is - he is holy, he is _______ (you fill in the blank).

Look to the Lord.  We like to look for God in the everyday - the sunset, the way the birds build their nests and search for food before the cold days and nights, the amazing flowers they like to smell at the botanical gardens.

Seek his face.  This is a little abstract for the kids - even for me sometimes.  Seek his face, not his hand for what he can do for us, but his face.  His relationship, his love, his peace and comfort.

Remember.  My kid's memory amazes me.  They remember little things from years ago and whose turn it is to pick the rest time movie.  They are getting old enough now to remember holiday traditions and this has prompted me to create more for them to look forward to each season.  Remember what the Lord has done - so easy to see in my own life and I want to teach my kids to remember what the Lord has done for them already in their short lives.

1 comment: