Monday, March 19, 2012

Wrestling

Wrestling has been a part of my world since my marriage began.  I knew nothing about the sport before I met Tim or his family.  Wrestling is a subculture of its own and has a following that runs deep.  Especially generationally.  I am thankful to Tim's parents who whole-heartedly devote themselves to the sport and help our family in and out of season.  

Boys start wrestling at a young age and by the time they are in high school they either live and breathe the sport, or can't wait to get out.  Sometimes wrestling gets a bad name because of what people perceive regarding weight loss measures.  The state and the NCAA have strict guidelines that each wrestler must adhere to regarding percentages of weight loss and hydration requirements.  They make it very safe and attainable for each wrestler to reach.  Guys don't spit in cups all day or wear plastic bags  to make weight anymore.  It is much healthier today.

Being married to a wrestling coach is hard.  It's rewarding too because of the lives I see Tim reach.  Boys that need something to belong to that is bigger than themselves, boys that need a role model, boys that have anger issues, boys that need a little guidance in life.  Tim spends more time with the wrestling boys than his own kids during the winter.  That's why it's hard.  We don't see him much.  But I know in my heart it's worth it.  

Here's why I love wrestling: 
*It is a sport that anyone body type can be a part of.  Light or heavy, short or tall, there is a weight class that fits.
*It is a sport of discipline.  There are weight requirements and with the parameters set, boys can reach their desired weight in a safe way.  However, it still takes mental strength for them to turn down pizza and soda so they can compete.
*It is also a sport that requires physical energy.  Conditioning, lifting weights and sheer physical strength will sometimes win a match.
*It is a personal sport.  When you're on the mat, it's just you and your opponent.  There is something very personal about being one on one.  Your team matters, but when you're on the mat, it's just you.

All that being said, I'm not sure I could ever watch my son wrestle.  There is SO much emotion involved namely because of all the discipline and hard work that goes into a season.

This past weekend the NCAA wrestling finals were in St. Louis.  Thanks to Tim's parents who volunteered countless hours of their time to the St. Louis Sports Commission, we were able to go to the finals to watch the top 2 college aged guys compete in 10 weight classes.  It was entertaining to watch these guys fight and physically battle for the moment they prepared all season for.

Ahren and Tim got to sneak up on the mat before the session started and get their picture taken.  I love this!  Ahren hasn't expressed an interest in wrestling yet...we'll see how things progress when he gets older...

1 comment:

  1. I know the Parhams are grateful to Tim (and to you) for your dedication to the Wrestling team!
    --Erin

    ReplyDelete