The very word *obedience* brings up instant feelings. Anger, resentment, pride, apathy. It can be any number of things. It's what we're called to as Christians. It's what I'm trying to teach my children. It's not only hard to do, it's hard to teach. Maybe because it IS so hard to do.
In my bible study we're learning about Jonah. A story I've heard since I was in diapers. But this study is bringing new light into the story about the man who spent 3 days in the belly of a fish. I've never thought about Jonah's life being interrupted. He was living with his counterpart prophets Amos and Hosea and life was good. He was telling God's people about God's words. Then God asked Jonah to go tell his enemies about him. New territory. New thoughts. New strength and obedience needed for that assignment. We all know Jonah ran away from God. God let him run away but then finally got his attention and Jonah submitted and preached to Nineveh. The whole city turned around. Good, happy ending. All because one man finally obeyed God.
Life's interruptions are divine assignments from God. An interrupted life is a privileged, divine life. When we recognize God's interruptions, we are seeing God work in our lives. These are the things this study is teaching me. It's good stuff.
When applying obedience to parenting and teaching our children the meaning of the word, it's challenging. I try to use words like "be a good listener" and "please choose to obey". These are good traits for children to learn because they will apply to them living their life with love...forever. But sometimes my words don't come out as nice. The other morning I found myself whispering to one child {whispering is much scarier than yelling} "If you fight me on this, I will win and it will NOT be fun." The child then proceeded to go upstairs and get dressed for school. She chose to obey and I was so relieved. How must God feel when we fight him on such simple assignments as 'getting dressed for school' or loving your neighbor or you fill in the blank? It may not be what we want to do, but if God is telling us He has a reason. Fighting is not fun. Fighting God could have an ending in the belly of a fish. I pray God doesn't have to go to that extreme to get my attention!
No comments:
Post a Comment