Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What the move has taught me...

Two and half months ago we moved from Webster Groves to Wildwood.  Four months ago, we had not even considered moving anywhere, let alone away from our friends, school and church all of whom we loved.  I cried and stalled and prayed and fretted but ultimately knew that God we leading us in this direction.  So, I bucked up and did the work of packing and moving and settling my family in to this new home (which is a great home!)

This summer has been different.  The first few weeks in the house took some getting used to.  The kids were out of sorts, as were we.  We were tired...a lot!  We slept more than I can ever remember sleeping when you have four kids.  We adjusted to a new rhythm with Tim being home for the summer.  He didn't work anywhere outside of these four walls for about a month and then after that he was still home with us a lot.  We met new neighbors, got accustomed to the neighborhood pool and dealt with the stifling heat like the rest of the Midwest.

The kids didn't have play dates.  They had each other.  Tim and I didn't have places to be or obligations to go to, we were home together.   We have grown to depend on each other and be creative with the space we have.  The kids make up games together on the trampoline.  Annie and now Lydia have learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels this summer.  They have all learned how to swim at the pool, even Maria whose fearlessness in the water makes me fearful!

Yesterday we went to the new family orientation at the elementary school.  We met the principal and the kids got to see their classroom and take a tour of the building.  I prayed beforehand that they would not be nervous, but excited for what the school year would bring.  They are SO excited!    They can't stop talking about going to school next week.

I know if we still lived in Webster Groves I would be ready for them to be back in school.  We would be getting bored with our routine and ready for something new.  But here, I'm not so sure I'm ready.  I really like the routine we're in.  I love sleeping until one of them wakes me up.  I love letting them sleep in because we were up late riding bikes.  I love that we still have so much more to explore here.  We still haven't been to the neighborhood creek (partly because we know there's no water in it!) and there is more of life I want to squeeze into this summer.  The summer we moved.  The summer I got to know my family better.  The summer I will never forget.  The summer I'm thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. Oh A! I wish you were ready for school to start with me and I wish I had seen you a million times this summer and I wish we'd see each other everyday like we have the last few years BUT I am so happy to read this post! We had a similar summer family-wise and become hermits in a way... just so happy to be together after a long and stressful year! Although i will admit I'm ready to have daylight working hours again! :)

    ReplyDelete