Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A complex

A mother's work is too big to put into words.  Too many jobs and tasks and emotions needed to create and sustain another human being.  Multiply that by however many children you are responsible for and you know the feeling I'm about to name.

Inferiority.  There are a lot of realms where this takes place.  Comparison to other moms and their kids, other women and the size of their jeans, other families and the way they have it all together.  BUT, the inferiority I'm referring to has to do with someone who lives in my own home.  My husband.

Lately, it seems that he is the kid's favorite.  And, most of the time that doesn't bother me.  After spending all day with them, I'm glad they like to wrestle with dad and be with him.  But this summer, he's been home a lot which we ALL love!  But it's beginning to give me a complex that they admittedly prefer him over me.

This morning Maria woke up at at 6:15a.m. and came into our room looking for us.  Tim was gone blackberry picking.  You would have thought that I told her that she couldn't have breakfast today.  She cried and screamed until I told her she had to go back to her bed to finish crying.

Yesterday I needed to run an errand and Annie asked if she was going with me or staying with dad.  When I replied she was staying with dad, she responded with "Yay!  Daddy time!".  Really?

This morning we were leaving for swimming lessons and Lydia asked me if I was taking her or daddy was taking her.  I responded that I got to take her today and she quickly asked if daddy could take her tomorrow because she really wanted daddy to take her.

Lydia won 2 tickets to the Cardinals game through the St. Louis County Library summer reading program.  Fun!  Her first question was if she could take her daddy.  I told her we will buy four more tickets so we can all go together and was greeted with a big frown.

So, I'm not their favorite, but I didn't even know there was a contest!  I'll continue to wash their clothes, cook their food and drive them all over the county.  Someday they will understand and appreciate their mother...but probably not until they are a parent themselves.  They will learn the hard way, that mom is always there for them and will love them like no other.  They will learn...just like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment