We have however, been trying to get in the Christmas spirit. The Saturday after Thanksgiving we always go Christmas tree cutting at Pea Ridge Christmas Tree Farm. The families we go with have been going together for over 25 years. Now there is a whole new generation of tree cutters in on the fun.
| Sharing her hot chocolate |
It was a rainy wet day which made for the fastest tree choosing in history. Here is a photo of the tree after the kids decorated it (note to self: remind them not to hang ornaments on the garland and lights!)
After a little rearranging the tree looks great. We love it! The kids really love that we have the lights on a 'clapper'. They go around clapping all day long to get the lights to turn on and off. Cheap entertainment!!
This year I made an Advent Calendar. A countdown of sorts to Christmas to celebrate the arrival of Jesus as the Savior baby.
My calendar kind of wavers between cute and tacky, but it works and we like it. Each day we remove a card with an activity on it. Something to do together as a family. Sometimes a special snack, an act of kindness to a stranger (or even someone we know), a craft or an outing. The kids look forward to reading the card after Ahren gets home from school every day. I love having more purposeful activities to do together.
What are you doing to get ready for Christmas?
Love all the pictures & the calendar is a wonderful idea! Wish I had known of such a neat activity when my children were small....what fun! Your family is beautiful and I'm so very happy for you and proud of you! My love & prayers always, Miss Carol
ReplyDeleteWhen did these kids get so grown up?? I just read through about 20 pages of your blog...made me remember some great times of hanging out with the kids and having great conversations with you and Tim. Tell everyone I said hi! We should try to catch up after the holiday craziness is over, maybe a cup of coffee or some knitting, or both! Love, Mary
ReplyDelete